- Please can all clothing (coats, PE kits, jumpers etc) have names in. This really helps us get things back to you.
- We aim to change your child's Read, Write, Inc book once a week as well as their Oxford Reading Tree books and 'reading for pleasure' book.
- Please could your child come to school with their book bag and reading wallets every day.
- Your child is allowed a water bottle containing only water.
- Please don't send any toys/trading cards/valuables to school.
- PE is on Mondays and Thursdays - the children come to school wearing their PE kit on these days.
In Year 1 we follow White Rose Maths. So far we have been focussing on place value and addition and subtraction. Our children complete a ‘chilli challenge’ in each lesson. They decide whether they think they can do a 1, 2, 3 or 4 chilli challenge. Our children are really ambitious at challenging themselves and our motto is ‘we CAN do anything that we put our minds to’. Here are a few pictures to show our practical maths lessons which then lead into pictorial/ written methods.
Read, Write Inc (Ruth Miskin)
In EYFS and KS1 the children learn phonics, reading and writing skills through the RWInc scheme. This is a daily session to teach; speed sounds, segmenting and blending, fluency and expression when reading, comprehension and understanding of texts (including inferring and deducing) and finally writing skills including grammar and punctuation.
Fred is our mascot who helps us to learn a new sound every day!
Take a look at some of the resources we have as well as the OUTSTANDING progress our children make (the example is the same child, 6 weeks apart)!
During Autumn 1 and Autumn 2, we are learning all about Fairy tales. We have lots of fun learning through play in our Continuous Provision based environment. Some of the things we have been learning about this term are;
- Different versions of fairy tales.
- Making a model 3D fairy tale village and an aerial map to represent this.
- Writing wanted posters for 'The Beast'.
- Learning to draw in the style of Quentin Blake.
- Portraits based on artist 'Guiseppe Arcimboldo'.
- Making waterproof boats that float to get the Billy Goats across the river.
- Learning about famous significant people such as; William Caxton (who bought the first printing press to England in 1476).
- Fairy tale day - dressing up as fairy tale characters and a story tellers special lunch.
- Decorating Gingerbread men.
We also aim to compile and perform a Christmas Nativity in the following few weeks which will be filmed and shared with all parents.
Have a look at some of our fantastic learning!
Storyland organiser - KEY FACTS our children must learn.
Spring topic - Globetrotters
During Spring 1 and 2, we have been learning all about the amazing world that we live in.
We have had a huge focus on the environment as children expressed an interest to learn about this area. Therefore we have planned to learn;
- About ‘The Wright Brothers’ and their invention of the first plane to travel.
- ‘The Jungle’, including learning about the Amazon as well as jungle animals and effects of deforestation.
- We will look at and learn through texts such as; Greta and The Giants, Somebody swallowed Stanley, Dear Greenpeace and ...
- We will learn about the oceans and plastics.
- We will experience the music, culture, food, art work and languages from the following countries on our ‘round the world tour’; Germany, Spain, England, China and Brazil.
- Deserts will be researched and learnt about through our text ‘Meerkat Mail’. We will explore habitats as well as animals.
Summer term - Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside!
During Summer 1 and Summer 2, we are going to be learning all about the seaside! Here are some of the things that we have planned to look forward to...
- A trip to the Seaside (Pending Govt advice)
- A beach day at school, where our Y1 environment will turn into a seaside (complete with ice cream, sand castles, water and sunglasses!)
- Learning about the following;
- How the seaside used to be in the past compared to present day, including Punch and Judy and our own puppet making and puppet shows.
- Learning about and making lighthouses as part of our 'Lighthouse keepers lunch' text.
- Continents and oceans through the text 'The Snail and the Whale'.
- Seasides close to home in the UK and the surrounding seas.
- Features of what you might find at a seaside and aerial maps.
- Beach habitats and animals such as; the ocean, rock pools etc.
- Seaside pictures - Monet (artist study) VS Picasso – figures at the seaside
We will also be making sand sculptures and a 'seaside in a bottle'!!!
Watch this space for photo and video updates of all our fantastic learning ... we can't wait!!!
Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside MTP
We are all AMAZING!
In Year 1 this year we have had a huge focus on the following areas;
- Mental Health
- Coping with our emotions
- BE KIND
Our children are accepting and open minded individuals who talk about their feelings and emotions and are accepted for who they are. Every week we look into tackling stereotypes and remembering to always be kind.
We can be whoever we want to be. We can do anything we want to in life. We just need to persevere and try hard.
Here are some of the activities we have done based on diversity and inclusion;